Wednesday 20 February 2013

Lonely Only

This is an old seafood cafe on Hastings Street in Vancouver. The Only, as it is/was called, was a staple destination for decades. It was shut down over allegations of drug trafficking from the owners. Now, the sign stands idle, as a monument to the shifting look of the Downtown East Side and a reminder of the glory days of the infamous and decorative neon signs that still light up certain parts of Vancouver, but decay and rot in others.

As time goes on and I prepare many new pieces in my urban/city series, I feel as though I'm taking more of a critical/careful look at my connection to the places and images I'm working with. I like that this sign was a marker on my walk to the old studio, so I have that personal connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment