Monday 1 August 2011

Some Lobster Studies

I'm currently working with a number of the lobster carcasses I recently picked up from the Granville Island Keg here in Vancouver. Here are a few crummy-quality camera-phone images of recent sketches for upcoming works. :)


My works focus around the theme of "consumption"...


...I feel that the way lobsters are torn apart and shredded by hungry restaurant-goers is an interesting metaphor for how we as people function as consumers in society...


...the interesting textures and shapes of these lobsters are only revealed because the restaurant-goers are providing these shells to me after their meals...


...they become an anonymous component in my artmaking process....


...i mediate a new use of these pieces of 'trash' and create work that i feel is unique...


...and i do, for the record, enjoy eating lobster.

No comments:

Post a Comment