Thursday 8 September 2011

Upcoming Show I Will Be Going To and Swooning Over

I live near South Granville Street, which is the main commercial gallery drag in Vancouver. I frequent shows there a lot, and have mixed opinion about the work I see.

I am currently developing my artistic language in the fields of painting, drawing, and the combination of those two. I've recently undertaken some new personal study and understanding of colour theory (something that I now realize I was a bit too ignorant of before) and I am really excited about two artists that will be showing at Granville Fine Art, with the opening reception happening on Sept. 22 from 6-9pm.

Suzanne Northcott's work (the first image below) particularly catches my eye, but so does Joe Coffey, who is exhibiting with her.

The wonderful use of balance between warm and cool in an orange-blue colour scheme of the nest painting is great. Very inspiring. It particularly motivates me as I notice that the materials used for Suzanne's work are "ink and acrylic"...lately I have been combining ink work with paint and this is a great final result she has produced!


No comments:

Post a Comment